By: Ken Mastrole – Mastrole Passing Academy
Boca Raton, Florida
The Air Raid 11 passing camp held by quarterback coach Ken Mastrole at St. Andrews Prep School brought some of the top quarterbacks around south Florida to compete. The camp featured former Pitt Panther QB great and Mastrole Passing quarterback coach John Congemi, along with Ken Mastrole at the three day event. Quarterbacks and receivers received fundamental training, video analysis through state of the art Dartfish, chalk talks, core strength training, and competition during Friday Nigh Lights. Mastrole Passing Academy also brought in Athlete’s Edge for speed and agility training. Quarterbacks Jake Rudock (St. Thomas Aquinas & Iowa commit), Rafi Montalvo (La Salle), Alex Prakas (West Boca), Troy Cook (Palmetto), Max Lescano (St. Thomas Aquinas), and Georgia transfer Chase Bender all looked like the top guns during the camp. Rafi Montalvo and Max Lescano came out on top during the event winning the Friday Night Lights competition. Sophomore quarterback Troy Cook looked very impressive winning the overall accuracy challenge. The acccuracy challeng featured moving and long target throws. The camp not only taught fundamentals and technique but it also provided athletes a stage to compete in the 20 yd shuttle, vertical, arm strength, accuracy, and movement. In the Future Stars group, Dominic DiCaprio, looked sharp displaying a strong and accurate arm. Dicaprio, only going into the 8th grade, threw the ball 55 yards and displayed excellent footwork and mechanics. Dicaprio who has been working with coach Ken Mastrole the past year showed why he will be one of the top signal callers high school coaches are hoping to have in their backfield.
Look for the these following quarterbacks to make an impact next year:
1. Jake Rudock: Led St. Thomas Aquinas with a 35 TD / 5 int. Committed to the University of Iowa the 2011 signal caller has improved ever part of his game the last two years. Excellent footwork, strong arm, and a consistent throwing motion has allowed Rudock to succeed in the Raider offense. Charachter and work ethic are no question two of the strongest qualities of this quarterback.
2. Rafi Montalvo: The La Salle quarterback took home all county honors last year. Currently being recruited by several big east schools, Montalvo is a dual threat quarterback that can beat you through the air and on the ground. A sub 4 sec shuttle performance combined with mid 4.5′s in the 40 this 2011 quarterback has the mechanics and tools to make an impact this season. Montalvo has a fluid 3 and 5 step drop and does an excellent job of releasing the football early. Excellent work ethic and leadership traits, Montalvo has the ability to play at the next level.
3. Chase Bender: 2012 transfer from Georgia. At 6′-2″, Bender showed a strong arm and excellent movement in the agility testing. Has the frame to add solid muscle over the next year. Delivers a very accurate and strong ball from short to intermediate. Best suited for a pro style type offense. Watch for this 2012 signal caller to make a name for him self in the sunshine state of this season
4. Troy Cook: A sophomore to be, Cook does an excellent job locating targets and placing the ball in those windows. Untested at the Varsity level but has the tools to make an impact as a 2nd year player.
5. Alex Prakas: West Boca senior stand 6′-5″ and throws well in the pocket and on the run. Has the frame to add muscle and may be what colleges are looking for this quarterback. Prakas showed off a strong arm and touch through out the camp. Prakas will be looking to continue where he left off from last season leading the bulls to a playoff appearance.
6. Abe Coleman: Now at Jackson high school, this quarterback had an excellent freshman campaign in 2008. The junior quarterback has the intangibles to play at the next level and has to continued to improve since last season. Strong arm, accurate, and excellent footwork describes this qb.
The Results of the competition
20 Yd Shuttle:
1. Max Lescano (St. Thomas) 4.09 sec
2. Rafi Montlavo (La Salle) 4.19 sec
3. Chase Bender (Cardinal Gibbons) 4.26
1. Max Lescano ( St. Thomas) 34.7″
2. Robert Kubond (Charlotte) 30.8″
3. Rafi Montalvo (La Salle) 30.7″
1. Rafi Montalvo (La Salle) 61 yds
2. Gardner Knight (Palm Bay) 56 yds
3. Max Lescano (St. Thomas) & Dominic DiCaprio (Tamarac Cougars) 55 yds
1. Troy Cook (Palmetto) 18 pts
2. Rafi Montalvo (La Salle) 17pts
3. Charlie Cannaday (Gulf Coast) 15 pts